Q: What can it be if its not the throttle body?

Hi i had a question about my 2005 chrysler 300.. My car has neen cutting off and not going more than 10mph the accelerator keeps going high but not moving i was told it was the throttle body so I replaced it, but it keeps doing the same?

The throttle body is a common failure on Chrysler’s, but there is another component that is key to the throttle system on your car. The gas pedal assembly has a sensor very similar to the throttle body and is an integral part of the throttle system. I always advise the diagnosis of a system before replacing any parts. To diagnose this issue, I wouldn’t do it without a scanner and a thorough review of all the data. Typically there will be codes involved if something in this system has failed.

Something else to be aware of is the vehicle could be in a default limp mode. If this is the case, it can exhibit your symptoms and replacing the throttle body and gas pedal assembly won’t change anything. Limp mode is a safety setting in the PCM to protect the car from causing further damage to itself and you. What has enabled the limp mode requires a scanner. The important thing here is the use of a scanner and not a code reader to see what the on board computers think is going on. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to diagnose your acceleration issue.

3. What can it be if its not the throttle body?