Q: Burning through a lot of oil between changes

asked by on November 06, 2015

At one point I was adding 3 quarts of oil to my 2010 GMC Terrain every 2000 miles. The oil burning issue the engine had got really bad so I had the engine replaced while the vehicle was under warranty. Now, at 71,000 miles and with no warranty left, oil is burning off again. Should I be concerned? It is not a ton of oil but it could get worse.

Your attention to the engine’s oil level should be commended, not every driver is as diligent. To answer the question, yes, concern is in order here. GMC has had an issue with the 2.4 liter four cylinder engine, and has actually released a Special Coverage Adjustment (14159A) that deals with just this issue. The details relate to worn pistons rings inside the engine and the repair is to replace all four piston assemblies. This is a major engine repair and would be costly normally, but the warranty has been extended to ten years or 120,000 miles. Now with that being said, there are several factors to consider here. Not all vehicles are affected and your local dealer will need to do an oil consumption test which may involve several trips to the dealership so they can document the oil level. But your patience will most likely be rewarded with the repairs being covered under this extended warranty period.