Q: Q: Transmission not shifting

Hey, I have a 1990 5.0 Ford Mustang and my car only shifts to 2nd gear and it makes a whistling sound. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have two issues going on here. The whistling sound is likely a part of the air intake in the motor. Try opening the hood and throttling the motor a bit to see if you hear it coming from the air filter area. The transmission shifting issue may be related to a number of things within the transmission, such as low transmission fluid or a failing speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that provides information related to the speed of the input and output shafts in the transmission, allowing the transmission to shift smoothly. The sensor counts the internal number of revolutions of the transmission and transmits that information to the transmission control unit, where the data is used to determine the rotational speed. As the rotation increases, the control unit directs the changing of gears. When this is not working properly, this may cause the transmission to shift erratically or in some cases not at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.

3. Q: Transmission not shifting