Q: Having hard time shifting gears

asked by on February 05, 2016

I am having a hard time shifting gears. My truck has a five speed manual transmission.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

When it is hard to shift a manual transmission, there are few problems that can cause it. If the shifter is hard to move, then you may have a problem with a worn or binging shift fork assembly in the transmission. If the shifter moves fine when the truck is off, and grinds when trying to put into each gear, then you either have a failing clutch or fluid in the transmission. Low or worn fluid can cause hard shifting. A mechanic would typically start by checking the fluid level in the transmission to see if it is low. At that point if the fluid is fine then the mechanic would be able to drive the vehicle to see if the clutch is failing. It can also be a failure in the hydraulic clutch. If it is not building pressure due to low fluid or from a failing master or slave cylinder, then this will occur also. These can be checked by inspecting them for movement. To have your transmission fully diagnosed for issues, I recommend having a certified mechanic perform these tests for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr