Q: Hard to shift, shaky clutch, started smoking

I was driving under 40 and all of the sudden my clutch started shaking really bad and it became really hard to shift into and out of gears. When I tried to shift in, it would grind more often and when I stopped about a mile later I found out that smoke was coming from underneath my hood. The smoke is coming from something that connects to the bottom right of my engine. Is my clutch out? Or is something else wrong with it?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to help. The leak is most likely from the clutch slave cylinder. Look in the clutch master cylinder reservoir and see if it is low or empty. If it is, then check the lines to the slave cylinder and the cylinder itself. Replace the leaking parts and bleed the clutch of air.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.