Q: The tachometer in my car jumps up by 100 RPM when I turn the steering wheel

I recently bought a newer Lancer to replace my older, base model one. The base model Lancers come with electric power steering, and my new car has hydraulic power steering. When I am driving with the engine on or idling, I get a slight vibration in the steering wheel and the tachometer jumps up by about 100 RPM. This happens when I turn the steering in either direction. If I let go of the steering wheel, everything goes back to normal. I am wondering if this is normal, or if is this could be a problem?

Hello. This is normal for the most part. With the hydraulic power steering, there is an extra load placed on the engine when you turn the steering wheel. The computer tries to pick up the engine speed to compensate for this.

If it is drastic, I typically start by cleaning out the throttle body as build up in there will cause the idle to be off when this occurs and can impede the computers response to the drop in idle. If you are not sure if it is normal, you can always have it checked. If you need to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your vibration and high idle issue and let you know if there are any urgent repairs that are needed.

3. The tachometer in my car jumps up by 100 RPM when I turn the steering wheel