Q: Had my vvt replace and check engine light is still on

asked by on May 17, 2017

Had my camshaft exhaust solenoid replaced yesterday....engine light still on...please advise...thx

Hi There, Depending on whether or not the mechanic cleared the code that triggered the check engine light, it may still remain on. If the code was cleared, this may indicate you may have other issues such as a bad camshaft position sensor. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your camshaft position sensor.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr