Q: Starter tries to work but motor just doesn’t run now

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata with just 30,000 miles on it will just not start up anymore. It just makes a weird noise and doesn’t try to turn over. This is so frustrating, and this is not the only problem I have had with this car in the short time that I’ve owned. Not sure what is wrong now, how do I go about getting this diagnosed without throwing away more money on expensive repairs?

A: The starter on your vehicle is causing your...

The starter on your vehicle is causing your problem. The starter is spinning but the starter lever is not allowing the starter solenoid bendix to engage the flywheel and turn the engine. Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 13-EE-001 dated January 2013 is a bulletin to repair the starter with a new style bendix. This repair is not a repair covered without warranty. Since you are out of warranty coverage I would suggest you contact Your Mechanic for a test to confirm failure of starter and replace starter assembly instead of repair of old starter. This should be the most cost effective repair and would have a warranty for the parts and labor. If you decide to only repair your starter then it would have no warranty if it fails.