Q: Truck will rank but no start. Back fires through intake

97 chevy blazer 4x4 4.3 w code. Had to replace the intake manifold gasket. Now the truck will not start. getting fuel up to spider. Getting spark from coil to distributor. The timing has been reset 3 times using different methods. All on the compression stroke of #1. The engine rotates fast then will backfire through intake after about 4 rotations. I been working on cars for 17 years and have never been this stumped.

With the information that you have provided, it sounds to me like the distributor may have been installed 180 degrees out of rotation. If the engine is turning over so easy that it sounds like there are no plugs in the engine, that would make me question the timing alignment. Plus, unless there is some kind of internal damage that has occurred during the previous work, I can’t really see how there could be a backfire through the intake. It would almost have to be something to do with the timing. If this is something that you feel you could use some further help to diagnose/repair, contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.

3. Truck will rank but no start. Back fires through intake