Q: Is it really required to do maintenance like change oil and filters each 3k miles?

A mechanic told me that I should do oil change and filters each 3k even tough my car is just at 7k miles. I wanted to know if it is true.

This is a very common question for many people as the service intervals tend to vary depending on the make of the vehicle, the specific type of service being recommended and the recommended return for service date as indicated by the servicing facility. For example, when having the engine oil changed, many facilities will recommend that the oil is changed every 3,000-4,000 miles as you have been told. Years ago, before the vast improvements in engineering technology, for many cars, this was actually a good recommendation, however, with the high standards of today’s vehicles, many engines are capable of going anywhere from 7,000-20,000 without an oil change without any harm or risk to the motor. Keep in mind again, that this will vary depending on the make and model of vehicle. The service engine light is nowadays the primary indicator as to when you should have your vehicle serviced as it is pre-programmed service intervals programmed into the vehicle’s computer indicating when to have specific services performed. I would suggest referencing your service manual, which will indicate the recommended oil change service interval. In addition to this, the service engine light will also come on when it is time to have this service performed.

3. Is it really required to do maintenance like change oil and filters each 3k miles?