Q: Grinding Sound and Squeak

When braking and then stepping on the gas there is a "grinding" sound. This also happens when I just slow down in general and then start going again. There is also a squeak which happens when I go on bumpy roads. I have brought it to a mechanic who wasn't able to find anything wrong except the rotors need to be replaced, however he said that it most likely wouldn't be causing the noises.

Warped brake rotors can definitely cause a grinding sound depending on the severity of the warping and the thickness of the brake pads. This can also be caused by worn out wheel bearings as well. Over time the bearing will wear slightly, allowing microscopic pieces of metal into the grease. Bearing noise can sound a lot like a brake pad dragging or grinding. It can also sound like whirring, whining or humming depending on how much sound deadening material your vehicle has in it. Bearing noise will always be dependent on vehicle speed meaning as you speed up or slow down the noise should change frequency or loudness. Cornering may affect the noise from a damaged front wheel bearing and is usually more pronounced as you make turns. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to take a look at the car and check your wheel bearings for failure.

3. Grinding Sound and Squeak