Q: Grinding noise when steering left in reverse at low speeds.

asked by on December 27, 2016

I just bought this car and the only issue I'm finding is that when I'm pulling out of a parking spot to the left, there is a substantial grinding sound coming from the left front wheel area. Any ideas what could be causing this?

One tire is wearing faster than the others Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the tires and see if they are hitting the frame or the fender. This is a common noise to hear when backing up. Also, there could be a problem with the wheel bearings on the front. Raise up the vehicle and spin the wheels. If there is no rubbing sound or grinding noise, then turn the wheels all the way to the left and see if the tires are hitting anything. The axle stop could be out of adjustment or broken. If you need further assistance with your car making a grinding noise as you drive backwards, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.