Q: Car shakes at idle and low speed, shuts off at stops. 1993 Mazda MX-6

In the last few years, the car has been having problems with idling and running at lower speeds. While the car idles or if it starts running at around 5 mph, it would start shaking. I also had the car shut off completely when I'm stopped in traffic. Once I couldn't restart it. After the mechanic had the distributor replaced, I no longer had problems starting the car. However, the car still shakes badly. Also, when the RPMs are surging, and I turn the AC on, they would stabilize and the car would get more power. What do you think might be the problem?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1993 Mazda MX-6. It sounds like the idle air control (IAC) motor is gunked up and either needs to be cleaned or replaced. Turning on the AC causes the IAC to change settings, which in your case, is improving idle quality. I recommend having a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic inspect the rough idle in person to verify the problem and help you move forward with repairs.