Q: How do you shift gears with a manual transmission?

How do you shift gears with a manual transmission?

While most Civics on the road are automatics, there are some manuals out there. In fact, there are two types – five speeds and six speeds. Both work in the same way, and the only differences are when you shift (speed) and the number of gears. Here’s what you need to know:

1. You must fully press in the clutch pedal whenever you intend to shift gears. Failing to do so will cause a grinding sound and will definitely damage the transmission.

2. Slowly release the clutch pedal while gradually pressing on the gas pedal when going into another gear.

3. Keep your foot off the clutch if you’re not using it for shifting. Any pressure on the pedal at all will keep the clutch slightly engaged, which will cause damage to the system (premature wear and tear).

Speeds:

The shifting speeds recommended by Honda are as follows (5 speed/6 speed respectively):

1. From first to second gear: 15 MPH/17 MPH

2. From second to third gear: 27 MPH/29 MPH

3. From third to fourth gear: 39 MPH/37 MPH

4. From fourth to fifth gear: 53 MPH/43 MPH

5. From fifth to sixth gear (six speed transmissions only): 49 MPH