Q: AWD not working when the rear is overheating.

asked by on December 12, 2016

In April of 2016 I bought a 2008 Chevy Equinox. Recently has been the first time that I've depended on the AWD. To my surprise after our first snowfall, I was stuck in my driveway. A message showed up on the screen saying that AWD was turned off. I took the car to the dealership where it was purchased and they were not able to help me I determine what could be causing this. I did research this and seen that it happens when the rear is overheating. At this point I have no idea how to diagnosis the cause of this. Any ideas?

Hi there. Check the oil level on the rear differential to your vehicle. The oil level may be low and causing the differential to overheat. Look for signs of leaks and any loose bolts. If the level is low, top it off with the proper type of gear oil that is recommend for your vehicle. If you need further assistance with your differential overheating causing the AWD to not work properly, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.