Q: Once car is warm, if I put the gas pedal to the floor, I lose power and acceleration. Engine sounds like its choking.

When my car warms up and I am driving more aggressivly, the car seems to lose power and acceleration when the gas pedal is all the way down. If I Iet the pedal out a little, it stops. It makes a weird, fast "putt putt putt" noise and wont accelerate like it used to. The oil temp gauge drops whenever I come to complete stops after ive been driving for a while. It also sounds like its misfiring slightly after driving and then stopping. At stop lights it gurgles almost when you press the gas and then the car starts to go. Ive cleaned my MAF, put fuel cleaner in the gas, and checked the spark plugs to see if i was running rich or lean and nothing is abnormal. Theres no check engine light, and no lights come on when driving.

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Kyle. There could be a few different system issues contributing to the lack of acceleration when you apply full throttle. Typically this type of bogging issue is due to an inability to correctly mix air and fuel to the correct ratio. It can be due to fuel restriction or a failure of the throttle body itself. It’s also possible that the fuel pump has an obstruction on the pick-up inside the tank. This is rather common on vehicles more than 15-years old actually. Adding fuel system cleaner takes a lot of time to break up carbon deposits on fuel system components, like fuel injectors. You should probably clean the throttle body for starters to see if this resolves the problem. If not, having a professional mechanic come to your location to inspect your car would save you a lot of time and money on repairs.