Q: Got new water pump less than 9 months ago. Now boiling sound and overheating smell. Temp says its good

I was having a overheating smell in my van for a while and then a loud knocking sound. Took to mechanic where he put a new water pump, seep belt and gallon collant. Now less than 9 months later I have overheating smell coming from under hood again. Temp says not overheating (but it didnt before the new pump either) but I can hear boiling water when I stop. Could have the water pump gone bad again so soon?

Hello. The overheating issue your vehicle is having is likely not caused by the water pump once again. Though an inspection of your water pump performance should be checked when trying to diagnose this issue. The temperature gauge not going up to hot when the water is boiling will be a malfunction of the coolant temperature sensor. Overheating is likely caused by a faulty thermostat, a clogged coolant system, coolant system leak, or a bad head gasket. I suggest to have a technician perform an inspection of the possibilities I just mentioned including the coolant temperature sensor and it’s related wiring to help pinpoint exactly why the vehicle is overheating.

You are able to find a technician and schedule an appointment for your vehicle overheating here

https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-overheating-inspection

• Got new water pump less than 9 months ago. Now boiling sound and overheating smell. Temp says its good