Q: What does it mean if the Brake System Light comes on in the dash?

What does it mean if the Brake System Light comes on in the dash?

Of all the safety systems built into your car, the brakes are the most important. While the Brake System indicator should come on during startup, it should go out after a few seconds. If it does not, or if it comes on while driving, here’s what you need to do:

1. Press the brake pedal lightly. Does it feel normal? Spongy or soft? Too hard? If it does not feel normal, do not drive. Have the car towed.

2. If the pedal feels fine, open the hood.

3. Locate the brake master cylinder and check the fluid level. Low brake fluid can make the light come on.

4. If it’s below the minimum line, top it off (DOT3 brake fluid only).

5. If the level was low, have your brakes inspected for leaks and/or wear and tear.

Tip

If you’re uncomfortable driving because of a potential brake system problem, don’t do it. Have the car towed.

3. What does it mean if the Brake System Light comes on in the dash?