Q: Going over 60 my rpm meter goes up and down and van starts slowing down why?

Going over 60 my rpm meter goes up and down and van starts slowing down why?

A: Hi. Without being there to inspect, road te...

Hi. Without being there to inspect, road test, and diagnose the actual problem, it's hard for me to give you an accurate solution to this. However, at first glance, the RPM acceleration issue appears to be a problem with the ECU on your van.

Most Ford Vans, especially ½ ton and above, have a governor installed that restricts the vehicle to a certain speed for safety. The governor works by controlling fuel flow and retarding ignition to lower levels to reduce the RPM to a predetermined point. Occasionally, the ECU that controls this system will develop a "bug" caused by a short circuit, blown fuse, or other electrical issue inside the van. This will cause the governor to engage prematurely, which can cause the symptoms you're describing.

The best solution to this problem is to contact a certified mechanic to complete a road test, plug in a diagnostic reader, and see if this in fact a computer or electrical issue. The warning codes displayed will give the technician a good starting point to solve your problem. However, I wouldn't wait too long to have the acceleration issue inspected, as it could impact other critical areas of your van.