Q: Gauge showing full when only 3/4 full and gas pump cuts out at this time too.

My car wouldn't start the other day despite showing I still had a quarter tank of gas. Turns out, she was completely empty. When I tried to fuel up, she only took about 36 litres or so despite having a 50 litres tank. The pump cuts out and the gauge shows having a full tank. What could cause this issue? An issue just with the gauge can't prevent you from actually filling the tank can it? Could it be something with the vapour canister, purge solenoid or the fill neck? Could it just be airlocked? It's just really eluding me what exactly is going on. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like the fuel level sensor on your vehicle is faulty. The fuel level is always about a quarter tank lower than what the gauge says. This can cause the vehicle to run out of fuel when the gauge still reads 1/4 tank. I would recommend having your fuel level sensor inspected to determine if it is functioning properly. If not, have it replaced as soon as possible to avoid being stuck on the side of the road from running out of fuel.

3. Gauge showing full when only 3/4 full and gas pump cuts out at this time too.