Q: Hood Open alert

My factory alarm is going off periodically. The Hood Open alert comes on when the hood is not open. I must have a couple of faulty sensors.

Hello! We will be happy to assist. I sounds like you are having issues with your hood latch sensor. The hood latch sensor is integrated into the alarm system because back when alarms were first being used there were only alarm sensors on the doors. So thieves would force the hood open and disconnect the battery before breaking into a car so the alarm wouldn’t go off. The engineers found a way to stop this from happening by putting an alarm sensor on the hood latch itself.

If the hood alert icon comes on when the hood is closed you have a bad hood sensor. Replacing the sensor will fix all of the issues you have described. A technician will be able to install a new sensor for you. A convenient way of fixing your vehicle issue is through YourMechanic. YourMechanic provides mobile automotive diagnosing and repair. Meaning you wont have to alter your schedule to find time to go to a shop. YourMechanic technicians will diagnose and repair your vehicle right where it may be.