Q: Gas tank will not fill up

I have a 93 honda accord and it will not allow me to fill the gas tank up. I've tried several different pumps, and it stops at 5 gallons each time...I can see the gas coming back up as if I am over filling it so I know it's not just sensing it's full, but 5 gallons is only filling it 1/4 tank. Could there be gunk in there? I just bought it from someone who had it sitting for a while.

This is most likely a problem related to what is called an evaporation canister in the fuel tank which is responsible for venting the tank as you fill it up with fuel. When this is clogged or not working properly, it does not allow the the tank to vent fast enough while refueling which causes the fueling pump to shut off (the shut off switch for them is activated by pressure). I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose this and repair.

3. Gas tank will not fill up