Q: Fuel pump does not turn off after 1-2 seconds

The difficulty with my van is possibly the fuel pump. It does not turn off after 1 to 2 seconds after I turn the ignition switch halfway. When this happens the engine will not start. If the fuel pump shuts off after only 1 ½ seconds, the engine will start, runs smoothly for a while, and then it begins to hesitate and won’t run. It is almost as if the choke is closed. (This engine does not have a choke, I’m just explaining what it seems like is happening.) What is your assessment of this problem and how to fix it?

A: The fuel pump is commanded on by the ECM. I...

The fuel pump is commanded on by the ECM. If it runs all the time, then this is a fault with the computer rather than the fuel pump. Good power and ground connections should be verified at the ECM, but it is likely you have a bad ECM. If you need to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the hard starting issue and let you know what needs to be repaired.