Q: Fuel pump does not turn off after 1-2 seconds

The difficulty with my van is possibly the fuel pump. It does not turn off after 1 to 2 seconds after I turn the ignition switch halfway. When this happens the engine will not start. If the fuel pump shuts off after only 1 ½ seconds, the engine will start, runs smoothly for a while, and then it begins to hesitate and won’t run. It is almost as if the choke is closed. (This engine does not have a choke, I’m just explaining what it seems like is happening.) What is your assessment of this problem and how to fix it?

The fuel pump is commanded on by the ECM. If it runs all the time, then this is a fault with the computer rather than the fuel pump. Good power and ground connections should be verified at the ECM, but it is likely you have a bad ECM. If you need to have this checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the hard starting issue and let you know what needs to be repaired.

3. Fuel pump does not turn off after 1-2 seconds