Q: Fluctuating RPM gauge when going up hills

When ever I go up a hill my rpm gauge goes up and down and all my sensors on the dashboard light up. When I pull over and turn off the car for a few minutes everything is fine. I took it to the dealer twice and they replaced the chip 2 times, and they still can't find the problem. Do you have any ideas about what could be wrong?

Hey there. It’s hard to tell without further information. Automatic transmissions rely on solenoids and electronic sensors to shift. If these sensors have failed, the symptoms would be similar to yours. Issues with your fuel system will also produce similar symptoms. The best way to check is to have a scan tool plugged in while you experience the issue in order to diagnose this properly. There are several sensors that could also be the problem. These again are easiest to diagnose using a scan tool. For more assistance, have a local professional, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the relevant systems in order to make proper repairs.

3. Fluctuating RPM gauge when going up hills