Q: Engine waterlogged

asked by on February 10, 2016

After driving through deep water during a flash flood, my car won't start. The key turns, and it tries to turn over for a split second.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There is a possibility that your vehicle’s engine took on water, or the electrical system has failed. In the event of a flood, it is a hard decision to make at times, but the vehicle must be shut off immediately. If water is sucked into the engine, the fact that water cannot be compressed causes a hydro lock situation. The air valves close and, as the engine internals try to move, the water prevents movement, causing a tremendous amount of stress. The water can also reach electrical components and cause multiple shorts. Have a trained mechanic begin by inspecting the vehicle’s starting issue to determine the cause of the failure. Consider our expert team of mechanics here at YourMechanic.