Q: Battery keeps dying out after the car sits for two days

My car has gone 65,000 miles. Its battery keeps getting drained if I let it sit for more than a couple of days. In the last several years, I had the battery replaced four times. If I drive it every day, there are no startup problems and it runs great? What should I do? What could be draining the battery?

Hey there. You may have excess current being drawn somewhere in a circuit while the car is not running. A mechanic would use an ammeter to probe various circuits to isolate the problem. As a temporary measure you could install a battery kill switch but such a switch will disable your alarm and may cause loss of stored data in the PCM. However, a kill switch would prevent your battery from being drained. You might also check the alternator output just to be sure the charging circuit is performing to specification. If you would like to have this checked for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the charging system and let you know what needs repair.