Q: Fixing lifters on a 2006 Chevy Tahoe

My friend is having a hard time finding someone who won't charge an arm and a leg to fix her lifters on a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. Any quick fix?

A: No, unfortunately, there is not a quick fix...

No, unfortunately, there is not a quick fix for this. The lifters are inside of the engine. When I was a kid, cars had mechanically adjustable valves. When you paid a mechanic to pull those valves covers off, the valves had little screws with little nuts on them. You’d loosen the nut and then you put in a valve gauge measurer and see what the measurement is.

If it is, let’s say 8,000 of an inch, you get one of those 8,000 and stick it in and turn the screw until it is snug. Then you’d tighten it up and do all the other valves.

But hydraulic valves adjust themselves. So basically, for hydraulic lifters you are going to have to take the engine apart and that’s a really expensive job. If it runs okay but makes a noise, you can drive it that way. But, if you really want to get it fixed, it is not going to be cheap. If you’d like, you could have the car inspected by a certified technician to determine what the problem is and if there are any alternatives.