Q: I have a 2011 6 cylinder Kia Sorento. Just changed all the spark plugs to achsah go. While driving today my car stopped accelerati

asked by on April 29, 2017

While driving my car is stopped accelerating. No matter how much exit on the gas there was no change in speed. The car still move forward on its own and the speed got up to about 45 miles per hour before I had to come to a stop and turn. After a few hours when I started my car again there was acceleration but after about 5 minutes it stopped. I do not know what the problem could be I am looking for suggestions.

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Slow acceleration has a variety of causes. Fuel injectors can become clogged over time as the tiny passages become clogged. When an injector is clogged it can degrade the performance of the vehicle and the car may accelerate slowly or feel that it does not have enough power. Other symptoms include a rough idle, a vehicle that is hard to start and a decrease in fuel efficiency. A defective fuel pump will not supply enough fuel to the injectors. This can cause the vehicle to accelerate slowly, or even sputter and stall, especially at high speeds. A clogged fuel filter can also restrict the amount of fuel that reaches the injectors. A dirty airflow sensor can cause the wrong data to be be sent to the computer. A slow accelerating car is the result of this incorrect data. It may also trigger the Check Engine light. Other causes of poor acceleration are vacuum leaks, a defective throttle position sensor and a defective idle air control valve. To get the underlying cause of the problem resolved, you can request an engine diagnostic for slow acceleration. The responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr