Q: Have a Mitsubishi Lancer 30th anniversary 2011, making a rattling noise when accelerating and loss of power. There is occasional smoke.

asked by on December 23, 2016

Car has 70,000km just rattling noise when accelerate but at a certain pressure on the accelerator the noise disappears. Loss of power if I need to accelerate fast

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The rattling noise is the ignition system being too retard or advanced as the engine is accelerated. Check the camshaft position sensor and see if the sensor is connected and sending a voltage reference to the computer. To check this, put a paper clip on the wires coming out of the harness plug (known as back probing) and check to see if there is power as the engine is running. If there is no power or if the power is weak, then I recommend replacing the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor is working, then I recommend replacing the spark plugs with the OEM specified spark plugs. If you need further assistance with diagnosing your engine noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.