Q: My car started making a rattling noise?

I spent a lot of time & money on my car in 2016 at a mechanic shop that was highly recommended to me in 2014 & where I had been going ever since it was recommended, BUT, unfortunately, this year I learned the hard way that it turns out that this shop is ran by a shady person, a slimeball mechanic. The knocking-type noise & the cooling system issue that I went in for in March 2016 was never resolved, after I paid for a ton of new parts; the noise has been there for at least a year now. The idler assembly had also fallen off my car while driving one night after that mechanic changed the belt on it. Then this past Tuesday a rattling noise began, it got louder & louder as the hours went on until it just stalled out on me, & it wouldn't start back up, & it still won't start. The key turns, all the lights come on, the radio & horn works, it just won't crank. I had also noticed an oil leak before this happened, and actually had just added a quart of oil on Tuesday before the rattling began.

A: Hi there. Unfortunately, it is very difficu...

Hi there. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find a repair facility you can trust. The knocking/rattle noise could be any number of components creating the noise. At this point the engine not cranking needs to be diagnosed, whether it is internal of the engine or an external component keeping the engine from turning over. Removing the serpentine belt and turning the engine over by hand, could help identify an internal component verses external component. I recommend having your vehicle's oil leak and knocking/rattle noise be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.