Q: Explorer turns over but wont start.

My explorer had a check engine light for a bad 02 sensor, whenever i would drive it for longer than 30 minutes after i turned it off and tried to restart it it would turn over and sputter for a couple then shake and cut off. After a couple minutes of letting it sit it wpuld start up fine. I got the 02 sensor replaced and thought it fixed the problem. I drove it around all day with no problems until i got gas. After i put gas in it i tried to start it and it did the same thing only this time after about half an hour of trying to start it it wont even start amd shake anymore it just turns over. The fuel pump is turning on and there is no check engine light any more.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.

3. Explorer turns over but wont start.