Q: Engine won't start

Engine cranks with I turn the key of the ignition, the car will not turn on

A number of things can cause a crank / no start condition. First, you must check for the basics. Is the engine getting fuel? If not, the problem could be a bad fuel pump and/or bad fuel pressure regulator.

Is it getting spark? If not, the problem could be a bad distributor, ignition coil, or ignition control module.

If you have spark and fuel but the engine seems to crank over a little too easily, it could be a broken timing belt if it has never been changed or if the belt has not been changed in a long time.

To have this checked, have a local expert, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting issue and make the repairs necessary to get you back on the road.

3. Engine won't start