Q: Engine was swapped. I need to know how to tell if they put 1.8 or 2.0 back in?

Motor was swapped I need to know how to tell if the put 1.8 or 2.0 back in?

A: Each of those engine sizes have unique cast...

Each of those engine sizes have unique casting numbers embossed on the head, block, etc.

• The casting numbers for the 1.8L are Block Cast # 5M0; In-Line Head Cast # 5M0; Cam Cast # 5M0-5M0 or 4M5-4M5; and Crankshaft Cast # 4M.

• For the 2.0L two different castings were produced for the block: Block Cast #2J2 versus #4M8; In-Line Head Cast #2J2; Intake Manifold Surface Straight Casting #2j2.

If you look for these casting numbers, you will be able to determine which engine was installed. Another possibility is if you have the VIN number of the vehicle from which the engine was taken that VIN number will be uniquely associated with one of the two engines. If you need further assistance, feel free to have one of our mobile technicians inspect the vehicle and confirm your engine type.