Q: Engine vibrates due to bad motor mounts

I purchased my Chevrolet from a Ford dealership. It was told to me by the salesman, that the engine vibrates because of bad motor mounts. Even though I had the mounts replaced, the engine is still vibrating and shaking. I have the car back at the Chevy dealership, but they can not seem to find the cause of the vibrations. I am thinking that the manufacturer might be using engines that go out of balance after a certain amount of mileage (just my opinion). I went online to research and sure enough I read a similar problem from another driver with this make/model. Can you tell me what is causing the vibration and how it can be fixed? Thanks.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2003 Geo Tracker. There are a variety of potential causes for the problem you are having. It could be that what you are feeling is an engine misfire. If the Check Engine Light is on, this is a good bet. It could also be that the harmonic balancer on the end of the crankshaft is damaged or failing. If this is the case, you’ll want to get it fixed as soon as possible since damage to the crankshaft can result. If you’d like to have this checked, a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to inspect the vibration and determine what fixes are needed.