Q: Engine slowly cranks but won't start, battery sign/engine maint lights up.

Engine cranks slowly but won't start. Battery and maint require lights up on dash board. Battery is only a year old and I was driving fine yesterday. I don,t drive much and car is parked under the extremely hot sun of South Florida. My guess is alternator.

It is very possible that your alternator could be the cause of this issue. I would recommend getting a jump start and taking your vehicle up to the nearest auto parts store and have them test your battery and alternator for free. If the alternator is charging the battery at less than 14 volts, the alternator should be replaced.

If the alternator output is ok, have the battery put on a slow charger. If the battery does not hold a charge, I would recommend getting your battery warrantied out. If the battery does hold a charge, put the battery back in your car, and if the same thing happens in a couple days, you may have a parasitic draw in your vehicle (something that draws power while the engine is not running and the key is not in the ignition. If this is the case, I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a qualified technician from YourMechanic to perform an electrical systems check on your vehicle to find where the battery drain is coming from.

3. Engine slowly cranks but won't start, battery sign/engine maint lights up.