Q: 4l60e transmission shifting problem

asked by on February 07, 2017

Hey so when I try to switch from 1-2 it won't shift into 2nd on its own. I have to give it higher rpm completely let off gas then slightly hit the gas then it will go into 2nd. But it's getting worse where it's barely wanting to shift into 2nd now. Also I have no 4th gear or OD. Would this be a mechanical or electrical issue. I'm hoping it's something I can fix. Thanks for reading this, appreciate your feedback.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The 1-2 shift failure on the 4L60E is often due to a faulty throttle position sensor (TPS). Test the sensor (there should be a smooth, linear electrical response over the range of motion) or substitute a known good unit. A more serious cause of 1-2 shift failure on the 4L60E is a leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). You can test for this by using an external pressure gauge. If you see a big drop in pressure when the PCM commands 2nd gear, there is a leak. It is also possible to have inadequate line pressure due to a leaking boost valve, clogged EPC filter screen, failing EPC solenoid, or possibly leaky seals throughout the transmission. The problem with the overdrive and no 4th gear is probably mechanical in nature but would require further diagnosis. Often, no 4th gear is accompanied by noise (due to hard parts failure) and/or 1st or 3rd won’t work either. The transmission you have is very common, parts are very readily available, and is easily rebuildable so you needn’t worry. If you can’t repair it on the car, just rebuild it. If you want a conclusive diagnostic performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a transmission shift diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.