Q: Engine shuts down suddenly, battery red warning light on

asked by on June 16, 2016

There are some issues that happened very suddenly with my car. On one occasion, while I was driving it, the car just turned off and I wasn't able to start it up again so it was towed to the shop. There were several worn parts that they replaced, including the alternator, belt and the water pump. The following time I drove the car, other problems happened. While not moving at the traffic light, the dashboard showed the battery red warning light. Then the engine shut off. The second time at the shop, I was told the oil pressure switch needs to be replaced along with the belt tensioner. As I already had a very expensive repair, I am now reluctant to pay for another one. I need a second opinion and some advice on what the potential causes for these issues might be. I appreciate your help.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I would say the tensioner was overlooked on the last repair and the oil pressure switch may have been damaged in the repair process. I would recommend having the repairs done, but ask for the old parts to see if they were indeed bad and not damaged in some way. The red battery light is for the battery specifically and not the oil light or oil sensor. If you’d like to get this fixed, feel free to contact a professional mechanic who can diagnose your stalling issue firsthand. Once this is done, the right repair can be made.