Q: Car starts but won't catch until I press on the gas while starting

asked by on September 10, 2017

My car starts but it won't catch. If I give the car some gas while attempting to start it, it will catch and run like normal. Engine sounds smooth when in park and when driving. What could this issue be?

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Michelle. Thanks for contacting us today. Usually, this issue is caused by a faulty idle control valve or restriction of fuel flow through the throttle body. A damaged mass air flow sensor, dirty or clogged fuel filter, air filter, fuel injectors or EGR valve can also be the source of this problem. Since there are multiple possible sources, having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection is probably the best way to diagnose and resolve this problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr