Q: Engine runs rough and has a growl for a while then clears up after several miles.

My 2002 Ford Focus SE. with the DOHC Zetec engine runs really rough and has loss of power. After running for a good while it will clear up and run smooth again, sometime after stopping and shutting off engine and restarting it.I had Autozone put on computer and there are no codes. I recently replaced PCV valve and tubing because hose was collapsing but this did not solve issue.

Hi there. The PCV hose collapsing seems to be a common issue with this model vehicle; there appears to be an updated hose available that may need some investigation to acquire. I would replace the valve and hose together as simple preventive maintenance. The running rough with a loss of power will require a good diagnostic process since there are no stored codes. Were you able to check pending or history codes? Some small handheld scanners cannot read the pending or history codes. You could have ignition coil failure, worn spark plugs, leaking injectors, vacuum leak, or a mechanical concern. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car loses power inspection.

3. Engine runs rough and has a growl for a while then clears up after several miles.