Q: Engine rattling noise

asked by on August 17, 2016

My car has gone around 240,000 miles. It's been several months now since it began making rattling sounds that are most noticeable on startup and when the temperatures are lower. Then it becomes louder and more frequent. The noise seems to be coming from the engine and it is a metal-like type of noise. Other than that, it runs fine. What might be making the noise?

Hello. It sounds like a pulley for the belts is going bad. The water pump, alternator, power steering pump, or A/C compressor could have a problem as well, that is causing the noise you hear. The worst case scenario is that an internal engine part has broken or is worn out. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, complete an inspection in order to pinpoint the source of the noise and make the necessary repair.