Q: Engine noise, steering wheel locked

asked by on August 30, 2016

While I was driving the other day, there was a sudden very loud noise coming from the engine. This was followed by the steering wheel malfunction. It became very difficult to move. What might cause this?

Hello. The most likely cause of this problem is that one of the components to the serpentine belt has broken. This will cause the belt to come off and break. This will also cause the steering wheel to malfunction. The serpentine belt drives the power steering pump, and if it is broken, there will be no power steering. If you need further help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your steering wheel and noise in order to have it corrected.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr