Q: engine knocking

Engine knocks. Could be rod bearings. Apparently you can take the oil pan out and replace it that way then having to take the engine out.

A: You are correct in that the knocking sound,...

You are correct in that the knocking sound, depending on how severe it is may unfortunately be rod bearings that have failed. As you know, this is usually due to excessive wear or not enough oil lubricating the connecting rod bearings. As you know, you should be able to reach the rod bearings by removing the oil pan and getting to them from underneath the motor rather than having to pull the entire motor out of the car.

You may also know that an engine knock may occur when there is an ignition timing problem as well. An engine can ping (or knock) due to an improper combustion process. A "spark knock" is the result of combustion occurring too early. Early combustion can occur from carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber, a lean air/fuel mixture, and advanced ignition timing (spark plug firing too soon).