Q: Engine hesitating and revving

asked by on February 26, 2016

When I accelerate, it takes a bit for it to go, and sometimes I hear the engine rev more than it seems like it should.

It sounds like the transmission may be slipping. With the engine running, fully warmed up, and in Park, pull the transmission dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag. Insert the dipstick fully into the tube and pull it back out again, this time observing the fluid level. If the level is low, you have a leak. Also take note of the smell of the transmission fluid. If it smells like burnt plastic, you have internal transmission failure. Have a certified mechanic inspect your engine’s hesitation issue in person to come up with a proper diagnosis and repair.