Q: Low tire presure Advance track and service power steering now

asked by on November 21, 2017

Tire Pressure went low, before I could get air in it, Electric Power stearing kicked off, and the Power Steering and Advance Track warnings came on. Once I put some air in the tire and the "Low Pressure error" went away, other warnings stayed, power steering still off.

As you may know your vehicle is equipped with electronic power steering which is very different from the traditional hydraulic power steering systems we have known for decades. To provide steering assistance, an electric motor mounted to the side of the rack housing drives a ball-screw mechanism via a toothed rubber belt. The screw engages a spiral cut in the outside of the steering rack. A torque sensor attached to the pinion shaft signals a control computer when to provide assistance. There are a number of things that can fail with the electronics involved in this kind of a system. When this fails, you will often see the EPS light illuminated in your dash indicating that the power steering system has a problem. This may also cause the steering to be tough to control or steer. This is something that should be looked at immediately by a qualified mechanic as it may be dangerous if the steering does not function properly.

The Advancetrac function relates to the traction control system. Your vehicle is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information simultaneously to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.