Q: Electronic stability control engages in minivan 1 of 100 times

For no logical reason, the AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control (ESC) engages in my minivan 1 out of 100 times. I have no acceleration control and have to pull over, stop, and turn off the van. Then restart before I can gain control again. I took the car to the dealership and explained the problem to them, but they test drove it and could not replicate the problem. Thus, they said there was nothing they could do. It happens on dry pavement, sunny days, highways, back roads, anytime, and anywhere. Fortunately there has not been any accident, but there have been some very close calls when I had to get out of the way from traffic. This is a very dangerous and frightening problem and no one will help me. Can you tell me what can be done to fix my car?

There are 2 Mercury Technical Service Bulletins relating to this complaint (but no Recalls). The TSB numbers are 06218 and 071011. Contact your local Mercury dealer for further information on the fix and approximate cost (if any).