Q: I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra. The Rpms would jump up and down and then my power steering went out and all lights came on and I had

asked by on August 05, 2017

It began with my cars rpms jumping wildly, then my power steering went out at the same it refused to accelerate when I pushed the gas until I got it into the side of the road. It started the third time I tried it that time. This problem continued and when at the mechanic shop I was told it was my crankshaft sensor. The service engine light was on. I got that fixed and the problem remains. It died without the rpms jumping and starts/doesn't randomly. Could this be a problem with my fuel sending unit fuel pump or distributor?? And if so, how do I know which. I cannot afford to throw money at mechanics that cannot clearly diagnose the problem in the first place. Thanks for you time and assistance.

Hi there. Honestly, the symptoms you are describing can be caused by multiple possible sources, ranging from a damaged fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, vacuum line problem or even a serpentine belt failure. Since money is tight, it’s probably better money spent to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete an onsite inspection to determine what is the root issue, so the right repairs will be made the first time.