Q: Downshifts suddenly automatic locks

I recently had my automatic transmission repaired. It will drive fine for a while and then all of a sudden will downshift and stay like that until my car is turned off and started again. My automatic door locking has stopped working too. Do you know what’s wrong, and how I can fix these problems?

A: When you encounter the problem try and see ...

When you encounter the problem try and see if your cruise control works. If the brakes lights stay on, it will cause the cruise to be inoperative and affect the overdrive of the transmission and door locks autolock function. Come to a stop and put the vehicle in park. Check to see if the brake lights are on. If they are, then you may have a bad hydraulic brake assembly causing the problem. It may need overhauled or replaced. If you need help having any of these repairs done, a certified expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting problem and guide you with the correct repairs.