Q: Don’t think my diesel motor is working right

I noticed that the turbo on my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel was not sounding quite right at around 81,000 miles. I thought that maybe I’d mention it at the next service or something and then boom! Loud noise from the turbo. Had to get it towed and at the shop they told me the turbo boost actuator caused the failure of the turbo. This is a fairly new car, was that part just defective? Is there an alternative to the factory part to replace it with that would make it more reliable? Looks like I am paying for a new turbo anyway, what are my options?

In this case, the turbo boost actuator had the turbo stuck on maximum boost. When you got to higher engine speeds it caused the turbo to over boost, stressing the turbo. Continued use in this state caused the turbo to fail.

I would not recommend an aftermarket system to control the new turbo because the turbo boost actuator is computer controlled and an integral part of the computer and emissions system. Any modifications to the system not authorized by the manufacturer could be a violation of emissions laws and regulations. However, there may be aftermarket parts that will not jeopardize your emissions certifications.

Talking to a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, may help you answer any questions you have about specific part options.