Q: Does the starter require a shim on a 2009 ford fusion

we replaced the motor and when i started the car the starter stays engaged

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Ford Fusion. I have never seen Ford use any shims on their starters. Only GM vehicles use them that I know of. I would recommend having the starter drive and engine flywheel checked for any binding damage. If it’s proven to be faulty, replace the starter with a factory brand starter. If you need help with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can ensure a proper replacement of your starter and address any other issues that are present.