Q: Do I need a new outer tie rod?

asked by on October 25, 2016

MV inspection station said I needed a new outer tie rod. My car drives perfectly straight, the steering is rock solid and my tires dont show any sign of uneven ware. I think I am getting a unnecssary repair. What do you think?

Tie Rod End Replacement $113.60 - $484.81 Get a Quote
Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The inspection station is, or should be, physically checking your steering linkage for excessive play. It could be the outer tie-rod end does have play that exceeds specification. This is something you may not feel when driving your vehicle or see in the tire wear. I recommend having your vehicle’s tie-rod end inspected and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.