Q: Do I need a new outer tie rod?

MV inspection station said I needed a new outer tie rod. My car drives perfectly straight, the steering is rock solid and my tires dont show any sign of uneven ware. I think I am getting a unnecssary repair. What do you think?

A: Hi there. The inspection station is, or sho...

Hi there. The inspection station is, or should be, physically checking your steering linkage for excessive play. It could be the outer tie-rod end does have play that exceeds specification. This is something you may not feel when driving your vehicle or see in the tire wear. I recommend having your vehicle’s tie-rod end inspected and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.